I was going to have instant oatmeal and orange juice for breakfast, but last night I found a recipe for blueberry scones that looked good and I had all the ingredients. So I drank a weight-loss shake to tide me over while I baked. They were really good, I ended up eating 5 of them for lunch and as a snack.. Here is the recipe.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 egg
After I had lunch I picked up some pictures from Walmart and pulled my scrapbooking stuff out to work on until my roommate came home and we were ready to go grocery shopping.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Cut butter into mixture of flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add blueberries and toss to mix.
- In separate bowl beat together cream and egg, and slowly pour into dry ingredients, stirring with rubber scraper until dough forms. Knead just until it comes together, 3 or 4 times. Don't over handle.
- Divide dough in half. On lightly floured board, shape each half into a 6-inch round. Cut into 6 wedges.
- Bake on ungreased sheet about 20 minutes at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Serve warm!!
I studied the grocery store ads and made a careful plan of everything I want eat this week including: Breakfast, Lunch, snacks, and Dinner. I have also made a list of everything I need to buy for those meals, what day I should buy them, and from which store. Today my roommate and I went to Harmon's like every Saturday. I bought 2 pears, 3 grapefruit, 4 celery stalks, and 2 cans of Cambles tomato soup for a grand total of $4.04. The most expensive thing I bought was the celery and I probably only needed 2 stalks for the chicken soup I am making this week. Oh well, lesson learned and I will just have come up with a recipe that needs it next week. One of my goals with this challenge is to not have food going bad before I can eat it. I read that the most expensive food you buy is the food you throw away.
For dinner I made BBQ cups, which are made by putting a biscuit into a muffin tin with ground beef cooked with BBQ sauce and topped with cheese then baked per the directions on the tube of biscuits. I got the idea from my best friend Zipper. I have always really liked it and like everything else I ate today I already had everything I needed to make it. I paired them with some canned green beans and had a wonderful dinner.
After I had dinner I drove to my parents house for a family party where I had some Ice cream and punch.
At the end of the day I have driven 25 miles and spent $4.04