Saturday, January 16, 2010

Pepperoni Pizza Soup.

Last night I went to a soup party hosted a girl in my ward. It was a lot of fun, so many people came and several of us brought a soup. There was a creamy tomato basil, roasted tomato, pumpkin curry, potato bacon chowder, black bean, minestrone soup and pizza soup. There might have been more but I didn't see them because they were brought in after I was full. For my contribution I made Pizza Soup.

     Years ago I had been watching a show on the food network called Ham On The Street and this episode was all about pizza, one of the things he made was Pepperoni Pizza Soup. I looked up the recipe online the next day and showed it to my best friend and cooking companion Zipper.  (I met Zipper five and a half years ago wanting to be a babysitter for her then 18 month old boy and 2 week old baby boy. It didn't take long for us to become best friends. She now has four boys running around her feet in the kitchen and keeping the washing machine running at all times. We have tried many new recipes together some very good and some really bad but we always have fun.) We decided we would to try this and went to buy the ingredients.

There are two items in this recipe that you might have trouble finding. The first is the Tomato Basil Soup, pictured  to the right. I have been buying it from Target mostly, not all grocery stores carry it. The next item you might have a hard time finding is pepperoni links. You just have to see if the store you usually shop at has them I know that Walmart does not but I have been able to buy them at Reams and Harmon's. They will be next to the sliced pepperoni. I like Hormel best.


Pizza Soup

Ingredients


  • 1 box prepared tomato-basil-garlic soup
  • 1 1/3 cups water
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup short pasta (I use salad macaroni) 
  • 2 green onions, sliced
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano, plus more for broiling
  • 2 teaspoons dried basil
  • 1/3 cup diced pepperoni
  • 1 cup grated mozzarella
  • 1 cup grated Cheddar

Directions

Preheat the broiler.
Put the tomato soup, water, and garlic into a large pot and bring it to a boil over high heat. When it is boiling, add the macaroni, green onions, oregano, basil, and pepperoni and stir well. When the macaroni is cooked, about 6 to 8 minutes, pour the soup into oven safe bowls. Top each with 1/4 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup Cheddar. Sprinkle on some oregano and put under the broiler until the cheese is bubbling and lightly browned, about 3 to 5 minutes.

Alternately, you can serve the soup in a small round, crusty loaf of bread. Cut the top off the bread and scoop out the insides. Fill with soup, top with the cheeses, and broil per the directions above.

No comments:

Post a Comment