Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Eggs

If you live in Utah you may have noticed the great deals on eggs that have been popping up recently. Last week a dozen large grade AA eggs at Smiths were $0.69. this week a dozen medium eggs are $0.58 at Macys. With such a great price I need to come up with more things to do with eggs and I will be posting more on what I find works. For now I am posting about a classic, the omelet.
You can put almost anything in one and it is so fast to put together.  They are great for days when you don't know whats for dinner and really don't have time to make anything fancy.  They are one dish meals and you don't have left overs, you even use up left overs with an omelet.
Last night I was driving home from work thinking I didn't have anything planned for dinner, I was considering which fast food place I should stop at. I had to be at FHE by 7:00 and I knew I didn't have the time to thaw meat or make much of anything because I haven't been making a menu plan and I haven't been shopping for meals. I fought the urge to stop at subway and just went home. I was hungry and I didn't want to wait for dinner. I looked in the fridge and found milk, eggs, green onions, cheese and bacon bits.Perfect!!

Basic omelet
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons milk
salt and pepper to taste 

 Preheat a small saute pan over medium high heat with a little fat( butter, or oil). Combine milk and eggs in a small bowl and beat well with a fork add salt and pepper to taste and beat again. Pour mixture into preheated pan and tilt pan to evenly coat. As the eggs cook use a rubber spatula to pull up the side of the omelet and tilt the pan to let the runny eggs under the cooked eggs. Once the omelet is solid enough to flip, flip it with a spatula or if you are felling adventurous try to flip it with the pan. Once the eggs have cooked on both side fold the omelet in half and slide onto a plate to serve.
Add any kind of filling you like or have on hand.


I made my omelet with bacon bits green onions and cheese. Before I put the eggs in the pan I sauteed the bacon and sliced green onions a little. the bacon gave off just a little fat so I didn't need to use butter and it crisped up a bit too. I moved the fillings to a paper towel and poured the eggs into the pan and sprinkled the fillings over the cooking eggs keeping some to add later. After the first flip I sprinkled on the cheese and the reserved bacon and green onions.
It took me less than 10 minutes to have dinner ready and I made it to FHE on time

You can put almost anything in an omelet from spinach to fresh tomatoes and bacon to left over chicken. Play around, see what you like. Omelets are a great, easy, fast, and cheap one dish meal for anytime of day and any number of people, even one.

No comments:

Post a Comment